BECOMING A PILOT:
To become a private pilot, you must:
- Be at least 17 years of age, 16 to solo
- Log at least 40 hours in the air
- At least 20 hours with an instructor
- At least 10 hours of solo flight
- 3 hours of cross-country flight
- 3 hours of night flight
- 3 hours of instrument time
- at least 10 takeoffs and landings
- 100 NM + cross country
- 5 hours of solo cross country
- 150 NM + 3-leg solo cross country
- countrol tower operations with 3 takeoffs and landings
- Pass an FAA administered written airmen knowledge exam
- Possess a Third Class FAA Medical Certificate, or better
- Pass a Private Pilot Practical Test, flight and oral, with a pilot examiner
Our independent instructors train pilots under FAR Part 61 which addresses regulations pertaining to flight instruction for most independent flight instructors and flying clubs. While the minimum time for a Private license is 40 hours, the average time is closer to 65 hours. The more often a student is able to fly, the fewer number of hours that he/she can expect it will take to fulfill the requirements.
Training is also available for private pilots taking the next step, becoming instrument rated. While a private pilot gains confidence and experience building their hours after achieving the private rating, that pilot begins to discover some of the limitations as they fly longer distances in more diverse weather conditions. The instrument rating will allow a pilot much more flexibility and safety as they progress. All of our instructors are certified as Instrument Instructors also.
We have very experienced instructors with a wide variety of backgrounds. We encourage you to give us a call and set up a time to meet us and even take a discovery flight. It is important that you feel comfortable and secure about your instructor and the airplane that you will use. Please give us the opportunity to personally welcome you into the incredible world of aviation.
$55.00-$65.00 per hour (set by your instructor)
Fuel and aircraft are not included in these prices. The price is for flight instruction. All ground instruction is arranged through your flight instructor.